Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Attached to Technology

It's easy to see that Mr. Campbell has become infatuated with technology. The man can't go more than 5 minutes without getting his fix. This statement, "When he rides the subway to San Francisco, he knows he will be offline 221 seconds as the train goes through a tunnel," seems crazy to me. And to think that I once thought I was addicted to Facebook. This guy puts me to shame.

After reading the first two pages of this article, I decided that no one should indulge themselves in this much online activity. It seems like Mr. Campbell's only concerns in life are checking his email, video games, or reviewing some stranger's tweets. I think that his online addiction will potentially lead to unfortunate consequences. The article already states that he rarely has his full attention on any person or topic. Nor does he take the time to read important emails, which could determine the fate of $1.3 million dollar deal.

I don't like to generalize that technology has a largely negative effect on people.. but this is a pretty good example of how the internet can consume someone's life. Don't get me wrong, I do believe the internet poses positive characteristics and most people use it to their advantage. However, Mr. Campbell's life revolves around his technology, which is not a healthy way to live.

The article did state that only 3% of the population are this consumed by online technologies, therefore I don't see this as a prominent problem yet. The internet and other technologies are mostly beneficial, people just need to know when how much is too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment